Sunday, April 29, 2007

Talladega Wrap

Saturday was an exciting race for me. Like many Talladega races there was something happening on every lap. Of course there were the normal crashes, big ones and small ones. I was spotting for Kyle Krisiloff, the #14 Clabber Girl entry. It was a great run for Kyle and his team as they came home fifth. Something else I really enjoyed was that another nice guy made it to the checkered flag.

Bobby Labonte has been around for a long time and in my mind is a great representative for this sport. He is rarely, if ever, controversial but he knows how to get the job done without being that way. Yesterday was a great example of the way you win. Bobby was around all day just seeing where his car worked the best and who he was working with the best. With plate racing there is always some timing and luck involved but Bobby was there to take advantage of the position he was in at the end of the race. He reminds me a lot of how my dad gets the job done. When they have the "chemistry" they win.

Now I agree that it would be boring if every driver was just like DJ and Labonte. I like these guys because when they put the helmet on it is all about business and when the race is over they are the nice guys they were before. People, whether it is fans, crew members, sponsors, or other competitors have a lot of respect for them. I like to hear all of their opinions and how they evaluate certain situations.

Every week I enjoy hearing what all of the drivers have to say even if I disagree with them. I like to take something from the driver's quotes and try to understand what made them look at a situation different that the next guy. They are all on the same track but rarely see situations the same as the next competitor. Most of the time when they speak up without seeing a replay they are just telling you what they saw from the seat. When they go back and watch it they often have a different opinion or quote. I remember wrecking at Kansas one time and I blamed someone else. Well, I saw the replay and had to make my way over to the other driver and apologize. It is easy to do when you do an interview right after exiting the car.

The controversy with Stewart last week was blown out of proportion a little but that is just the way it is when you are Tony Stewart. I don't believe that NASCAR is similar to any wrestling association but they do have some responsibility to keep things entertaining for the fans. What do you think would happen if someone reported debris and 3 laps later someone wrecks? Then you would have guys saying that NASCAR should have put the caution out 3 laps before they did. They understand better than fans, team owners, and competitors that they may have to make a quick call and if that means keeping the drivers safe, I am all for it.

The Dale Jarrett Racing Adventure was at Atlanta Motor Speedway on Saturday and Sunday. It was a successful weekend as many customers were able to enjoy getting behind the wheel of a NASCAR Nextel Cup stock car. The next event will be held at Talladega Superspeedway on May 26 and 27. For details on how to join us at the track visit www.RacingAdventure.com or call 888-GO-RACE-1.

No comments: