Monday, May 07, 2007

424

There are a lot of impressive streaks in the sports world. I probably can't even name one off the top of my head. I know of one streak that ended this week and it hit very close to home.

DJ had competed in 424 consecutive Nextel Cup events until Friday. This streak might not mean much to some people but it meant a lot to me. This man, that happens to be my dad, has earned the right to compete at the top level of NASCAR racing. He is just a winner and this sport needs people like him in the race every week.

As you might think, I have a strong opinion on the timing of NASCAR changing the "past champion's" rule. So, after the recent news that we wouldn't be in the race this week, I feel like sharing that opinion with you.

Over the past 10 years or so NASCAR has tweaked the "PC" rules. This year I think was the biggest change to this rule. Of course I am going to think that since we had to go home and not race this week. We all scream about rules that effect us the most.

I don't question why a "PC" rule is in place. There has always been a certain loyalty give to the winners and champions of this sport. What I do question is the timing of the rule being put in place.

My mind works in strange ways sometimes. When the rule limiting the amount of "PC" provisionals to 6 for the year my mind immediately went one way. They put this rule in effect on the year dad would benefit from it the most. In my opinion this rule was put in place on a year that the person, the champion that was going to benefit from it happens to be a nice guy.

What am I saying? Yes, I think the rule was put in place on a year that the rule makers wouldn't get much resistance or opposition. People inside know DJ is an intense competitor and does his talking on the track. When he has the equipment and people that wins, he wins. Sure I am upset because it is my dad that had to be the first to miss a race under this new rule but I think the rule was put in place in a timely manner.

The races will go on and we can't change the rules. But when a driver like DJ has no presence at the track on race day it takes a lot away from the event. He will go on to race another day but you can bet a man with DJ's focus he will not forget the year this rule was changed.

The path of least resistance. It appears that even the rule makers take it some days.

424-crashes, wins, and a championship.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason, I for one TOTALLY AGREE with you. It does seem strange that this is/was the year"THEY" chose to change it and also so close to the season starting...The way I see it...HOW CONVENIENT. I am soo disappointed with how your dad is being treated and I for one am sick of it. When Rusty said he was retiring, no one did anything, he got treated like a hero, the same w/ Mark Martin. Why not treat DJ the same way? Why all the negativity? No one can say anything about him w/o it being something,somehow negative. I have been a fan of your dads since he started in Cup Racing and a PROUD FAN I AM. I root for him and his teammates every week and I will continue to do so till he hangs it up. That's what being a fan is ... I am proud that he is still racing, I am proud of him! He is one of the greatest people I know and I am proud to know someone w/ all the great attributes he has. If people would concentrate on those things and let the stupid stuff go(his switch to Toyotas), perhaps they will get to know him as the wonderful person he is. YOUR DAD'S THE GREATEST!!!! You are very lucky to have a man like him in your life and that goes for everyone in your family. Thanks for letting me have my say. Tina Rackard Daytona Beach, Fl.

4ever3 said...

Jason, I agree with you on the 'timing' PC rule changes. I think this move was more political than anything. By limiting the number of PC's to 6 you are making it look like NASCAR is not favouring Toyota - because let's face it Toyota is struggling and will continue to struggle into the summer months and having all of those provisionals would help them make races and eventually be in the top 35 whether the deserved it or not. I wonder if the rule change would have even happen if DJ stayed on with RYR.

Anonymous said...

Well Jason believe me you are not the only person thinking that about the "new" PCP rules. DJ and Team 44 will come out on top because nice guys do finish first. Stay strong and keep your head high. DJ fans are strong and we are not going any where....PERIOD. All his fans are supporting you too...you are doing a great job. A Longfellow