Monday, April 09, 2007

Both Sides of the Track

As we all know, there was no Nextel Cup race this weekend. So, the racing was left up to the NASCAR Busch Series and the ARCA Re/Max Series at the Nashville Superspeedway. I have a couple things that really stick out in my mind about this past weekend. It was cold and the racing wasn't especially great. That is not the two things.

First, the argument always comes up that the "Buschwackers" are invading on the Busch Series regulars. Yes, they win a lot of the races. I don't have official records but I think a Nextel Cup driver has won every Busch Series race this year. This is not a big surprise to me and probably not to anyone else. At one time, way back in 2000, I was looking at this situation differently. I was wanting NASCAR to make a rule to limit the number of Nextel Cup drivers because I was one of the cars getting bumped from the field. Things have changed now and it is not that the Busch Series regulars are going home but they are not winning the races. Back in 2000 I would have traded almost anything for this situation. Now, instead of missing the race, the Busch regulars make the races, they just don't win. There is no need to make a rule right now. NASCAR probably saw this coming and that is why they didn't make a rule then.

I am going to jump to the other side of the track now. There are people that say if the Busch Series were to have events that are not in conjunction with Nextel Cup then the Cup drivers would not dominate. I think this weekend proves that they are going to race. I think the crowd, or lack of, proves that the Busch Series needs to just keep going like it is. It is very fortunate to ride the waves that the Nextel Cup Series produces. Yes, a Cup driver still finished 1-2 but their owners are going to find a way to race in as many of NASCAR's series no matter what the rules are or when the races take place. More than likely, if you are a team owner or driver in the Busch Series you know things are not going to change. There will always be the ones that think that NASCAR should change the rules, but like in 2000, it is just for our own selfish reasons.

The ARCA race also took place on Saturday. I have to admit that it was one of the few times in the last year or so that I really wanted to be on the track. I was able to spot for Tim Andrews. He ran a good race and probably should have finish in the top 3 had he not gotten a penalty on pit road. The penalty was for not using the access road leaving the pits. Part of that was my fault for not discussing that before the race went green. You have to know and discuss the rules so everyone gets a few reminders. He was probably overly excited because his crew had done an excellent job and got him off pit road in first or second. In the end he finished sixth. For no more than he has had a chance to race this year that was a great finish. It really was fun spotting for someone that was appreciating every lap he was running whether it was in practice, qualifying, or the race. I am sure being in good equipment was part of his excitement. Listening to Paul Andrews on the radio with Tim was also a good experience. I really felt like I learned some things by listening to the way he was talking and thinking through any changes they were making to the car. I hope Tim will have a chance to race more this year.

No matter how big or small the crowd is I still enjoy the Nashville Superspeedway. It is not the best racing in the world but it is a neat track. There has always been a lot of interest for racing around that area and I am sure there always will be. Maybe the crowd was down because of the cold weather or because of it being Easter weekend. I just happen to like the area and the track no matter which side of it I am on.

The Dale Jarrett Racing Adventure would like to invite you out to the track. For information please check out our website at http://www.racingadventure.com/ or call 888-GO-RACE-1 for a schedule of dates and tracks.

No comments: