Monday, August 06, 2007

Good Run Slips Away at Pocono

We are still sitting on the runway waiting to take off and my mind keeps reflecting back to the race today.

I don't know but I am sure the television broadcast didn't show the progress the 44 made on the track today. It was exciting from my seat.

When the green flag dropped DJ started moving forward and never looked back. He drove from 40th to 19th before going behind the wall to replace the fuel pump.

Let me think about it for a minute...

I remember watching him pass a lot of good cars as he made his moves into the top twenty. Normally I wouldn't just come out bragging but I think a little bragging is needed after this one. At some point in the race he passed every other Toyota in the field. He made a couple of three wide moves that he hadn't been able to do in a while. The car was racing good and the driver had confidence. Funny how someone can just suddenly learn how to drive again.

The crew did a great job on pit road and by what I could hear the adjustments were small. That usually means the driver and crew are pretty comfortable in what they have for a race car.

DJ doesn't need me to defend him. His record speaks for itself. One thing that I am tired of is people asking me questions about him that they would never say to his face. Don't question any driver's competitiveness based on how much he gets so called "fired up." I can tell you from my own experiences of driving a race car that just because you raise your voice on the radio doesn't mean you are more competitive than the next guy. Most of the time the guy that is being loud is losing his focus. Some may not but most of the drivers know yelling on the radio doesn't gain you anything on the track.

After today's performance I would just watch what DJ can do with a car that feels like he wants it to feel. Now that I have that out of the way, let's go racing.

I think writing this has helped me cool down a little. A couple of times today I was having to calm myself down. To me, it was classic DJ. He just kept quietly moving forward and picking cars off. His car seemed to get faster the longer he ran and the others were slowing down and back pedaling right to him.

Hopefully things will continue to get better as the circuit moves to Watkins Glen next Sunday.

When you get a chance check out www.RacingAdventure.com.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep the faith, the only place to go from here is up. we love ya Dale!

Anonymous said...

Kick arse blog Jason .... I love it. I can't even begin to describe how much your dad has meant to my Sunday's for the last umteenth years. At Pocono, I saw that racer again and I thought, "H--l yeah" - he definitely can still race. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with the fans.

I'm looking forward to my DJ racing adventure at Charlotte in November. I can't wait! Keep the blogs coming my friend!

Jeff in Richmond, VA

Anonymous said...

How great it is to hear the facts from someone who was up close and personal at the track! We DJ fans were getting pretty excited, too, watching our driver make his way up thro' the pack like his custom has been for so many years, but hasn't been able to much at all this season.

We are keeping the faith indeed! Thanks, Jason.

Anonymous said...

Jason thank you for you comments about your Dad and my favorite driver's day. Yes, I was very happy that he had a good car, and was let down when he had another equipment failure once again.

I was listening to you all on the Trackpass scanner and was pleased with how everyone was working well together and that DJ was pleased with the car and that made me feel really good, because this year has been a rough one for him, the team, and us fans. And yes, I did notice that he was passing a lot of cars, which made me feel really happy for him.

Thanks Jason for keeping us up to date with how things are going with the "44".

You are doing a great job of spotting for your Dad and I really enjoy your blog.

Go DJ Go Go Team 44

Judy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great article Jason. You know your dad's fans have never given up on him. We knew sooner or later he'd get back to doing what he does best....race cars. Sure makes a difference when you actually have a car you can drive. We're all behind him 100% no matter what. We love ya DJ...keep the faith and you keep those blogs coming.

Betty from Delaware

Anonymous said...

Jason, love your blogs about your Dad! I can feel your excitement in this one.

Pocono was an exciting race and to see him move up like he did was like "old times". :)

Was happy that he protected this car for Michigan!! GO DJ GO!
Your fans still are behind you.

hally

Aaron said...

I am actually a new NASCAR fan (because my young boys love race cars) and picked DJ as my favorite driver at the beginning of the season. What a season to start following DJ! I am so happy to hear about car and driver performing well! Bummer it was cut short! I am excited to see what happens with that car at Michigan. I want to see DJ drinking a Coke in victory lane! Tell DJ he even has some new fans this year, or at least one anyway. I just thought he seemed like a good guy and racer who�s character would not let me down. Go Dale Go!

DaleJarrett4Ever said...

Hi Jason,
I truly appreciate your insight to the race. It sure does give us all another perspective rather then what we see and hear on TV. Nothing like the media blowing things out of proportion.

Keep up the fantastic work here on your blog.

Tom
Webmaster of Dalejarrett4ever.com